Learning New Lessons

I was inspired at ISTE10.

I loved seeing the result of Beth Still’s Newbie Project

I was honored by some of the personal messages people sent me thanking our PLN Panel for taking the time to help get people started with building their professional development networks.

I was really intrigued by the rapid fire conversation that included anybody willing to tag their posts a specific way at edChat.

As a result of my experiences in the last week, I decided to organize a new project called edBlog that attempts to help promote education blogs.  I asked the people at edChat if it was okay to follow a similar format they use and announce the featured blog each Tuesday at the end of their discussion and they supported the idea.  edBlog asks our education network to suggest blogs they think should be highlighted each week and then a poll is put together for people to vote on. A featured blog is selected and then promoted within the network for that week.

I’ve committed to organizing this project for one year.  It seems like a fun and fairly simple way to get people access to blogs they might not be reading.  As with any new project, there is always a learning curve, mistakes made, and lessons to take away.

I learned how important it is to select the correct terminology when offering something to the public.  While I teach online, and often am correcting my own wording to help the students better understand something, I was not prepared for some of the passion that incorrect wording can invoke.  When I came up with edBlog, it was not designed to be a contest, just a showcase, so using words like winner had negative implications.  I thanked some thoughtful leaders for helping me correct that in an earlier post.

I also learned a little about building polls and how presentation matters everywhere.  I will make some adjustments based on comments readers and friends have suggested, as well as analyzing the data of the poll.  For example, less than 20% of poll viewers actually completed the one question survey.  That tells me, I need to rethink the presentation and make it easier to complete. I have a few ideas for how to do that, but I am open for suggestions.

When you attempt something new, especially something that you live out in public there is bound to be scrutiny and suggestions.  I really enjoyed what Scott Mcleod had to say about esteem and negativity regarding presentations.  If you present then you have to face the music, I learned a little about that this week as well.

, , , ,

1. #1 by Tim Nielsen on July 12, 2010 - 8:23 PM

Hey Cory,

I just wanted to say congrats and thank you for the great idea of sharing “high-quality” blogs and putting them out there into the world for all to see and find. I would like to say that I search for new and unique blogs to read, but sometimes there just isnt the time. In just the two weeks you have run the edblog I have been exposed to at least 1 new blog that I find interesting or find a cool post that I like to read and check out. I may not always follow them, or others that are suggested through members on twitter, but sometimes I do point their blog off to other staff and teachers that may find it a useful read. I think it is a great way to as I said before “Highlight” the high quality educational blogs that are out there. I thank you and the others that are helping you and I find these exceptional resources! Looking forward to seeing this project as it progresses over the course of the year and beyond!

Thanks!

2. #2 by Cory Plough on July 13, 2010 - 9:27 AM

@Tim thank you so much for the positive feedback. I know edblog is just getting started but hoping that by continuing with it for a year, it will give educators a great sources of information that has been vetted and suggested by our PLN.

(will not be published)